Friday, September 18, 2015

Report On West Windsor Bike Fest



Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending the 'West Windsor Bike Fest'. This is the twelth time this event has taken place, but the first time for me! I went with my daughter, taking my bike on the Dinky, to avoid riding across Route 1. That worked well, and from Princeton Junction station it was a short spin along neighborhood streets to West Windsor Community Park, on Princeton-Hightstown Road. 

'Bike Fest' features rides of up to 40 miles, but I went for the 7-mile 'Trolley Line Trail' ride. This  drew mostly families, with plenty of kids riding their own bikes or on various bike-seats / trailers. It was a very diverse crowd, and there were at least 40 people taking part. Along the way, we traveled on nice off-road trails (PSE&G right-of-way), and many on-street bike lanes. The bike facilities in West Windsor are very impressive, and the rides were really well handled by members of West Windsor Bicycle and Pedestrian Alliance, among others.

After the ride, there was a party at the swimming pool in West Windsor Community Park, with food and a DJ (who demonstrated a dance routine to a hip-hop remix of 'Do You Want To Build A Snowman?' - I was impressed). The pool was open for those who wanted a post-ride dip, but I had to go to get the train back to Princeton. 

I am also hoping to participate in the 'Tour de Trenton', tomorrow (Saturday September 19), a 12-mile tour of historic sites starting at Mill Hill Park. Also, don't forget our Princeton 'Ride of the Falling Leaves', organized by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee, which is set for October 25 at 1 p.m. from Community Park South!

No comments:

Post a Comment