Please check out the comments thread and consider adding your two bits.
At public meetings lately, there's been a lot of support for bicycling and pedestrian safety improvements, but there's been equally strong resistance.
A variety of improvements intended to slow traffic and create safer spaces for people on foot and bike have been opposed on grounds that they would, among other things:
- Increase traffic hazards and reduce convenience for drivers
- Not actually be useful for bike and pedestrian safety
- Pose excessive obstacles to resident parking and brush disposal
- Reduce access to home services for residents
- Jeopardize the health and safety of senior citizens