Sunday, July 6, 2014

What NJ Assemblyman John Wisniewski Told Me About NJ's New Cycling Law


This is the letter that John Wisniewski sent me about the potential law to make it a legal requirement for drivers to leave four feet of space when passing a cyclist...

Mr Wisniewski is a New Jersey Assembly representative and chairman of the Assembly Transportation Committee. Last month, I learned from the NJ Bike and Walk Coalition that the Assembly was considering two pieces of legislation to add new standards to require drivers to give more space to cyclists when passing. I quickly fired off a short email to Mr Wisniewski, encouraging him to pass this legislation.

To my delight, not only did the Assembly pass the bill, but I got this nice letter back from Mr Wisniewski thanking me for doing my part to "take an active role in government in order to make it work more effectively". The potential legislation is now being considered by the New Jersey Senate. It will be discussed by the Senate Transportation committee, before a possible vote, and hopefully Governor Christie's signature!

I don't know how much difference my note made, but we can't complain about the lack of provision for cyclists (and walkers) if we don't occasionally let our elected officials know how we feel about an issue. Whether at municipal, state, or federal level, it's important to make your voice heard if you want to see things improve!


No comments:

Post a Comment