Sunday, August 5, 2012

Re: NYTimes op-ed: the ethicist weighs in


From: Mike Suber
Subject: Re: NYTimes op-ed: the ethicist weighs in
Date: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 6:01 PM

Steve et al -
 
Yes, I read the opinion piece on the web site.  Forget Kant. 
Ethics has nothing to do with it.  Consider the effect on other cyclists
and motorists who observe such irresponsibility: Flout the law, behave unlike
most responsible motorists, and bring derision and danger to all cyclists. 
I can't believe that TA might consider this acceptable behavior.
 
Mike Suber
______________________________
 
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:48:47 -0700 (PDT) Steve Kruse writes:

"If Kant Were a New York Cyclist"     by Randy Cohen

THE rule-breaking cyclist that people decry: that's me. I routinely run red lights, 
and so do you. I flout the law when I'm on my bike; you do it when  you are on 
foot, at least if you are like most New Yorkers. My behavior vexes  pedestrians, 
drivers and even some of my fellow cyclists. Similar conduct has stuck cyclists
with tickets and court-ordered biking education classes.

But  although it is illegal, I believe it is ethical. I'm not so sure about
your blithely ambling into the intersection against the light while
texting and listening to your iPod and sipping a martini. More or less.

Read the entire article at    http://nyti.ms/MkoU42




No comments:

Post a Comment